August 19, 2013

Grocery Grumbling: Save by Buying Wholesale


Welcome back to our last installment of Grocery Grumbling! If you missed any of our previous posts, you can catch up here and here.

When we moved into our house, I was in awe of all the space we had in comparison to our 600 square foot apartment. Most notably, I was thrilled with the pantry space we know had. I have not one, but two pantries in our new home. I finally had the space to be able to buy in bulk and stockpile some nonperishable goods.

Shortly after we moved in, we got a membership to our local wholesale club, BJ's. After some trial and error not to mention a lot of math, I've compiled a list of the most cost-effective items to purchase at your local wholesale club like BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club.

Best Bang for Your Buck
Dog Food - there is usually always
a coupon for dog food and it'll get you a huge bag of food for a little bag price!
Olive Oil 
Toilet Paper
Potato Chips - I always go for the 50 count Snack Pack.
 It's perfect for lunches and lasts a month!
Snack Items - This includes: fruit snacks, granola bars, etc.
Toiletry Items - This includes: shampoo, conditioner, soap, 
toothpaste, deodorant, etc. Usually always have a coupon for these items.
Only have to buy them 1 or 2 times a year!
Ziploc Baggies: Another thing to get with a coupon that is almost always cheaper 
than the grocery store.
Contacts - Seriously! It's the least expensive place in town (and online) we've found
for the hubby's contacts!

That said, this is not a comprehensive list of the only things you should buy wholesale. These are simply the items that I have found to be most cost-effective. The most important tool to use while shopping wholesale is KNOWING PRICES. You can't spot a good deal without know what its counterpart at the grocery sells for. 

My tips for shopping wholesale? On average, I go to BJ's once a month with a strict budget. Everything is written on the list and typically has an accompanying coupon. Don't stray from the list. I know that stuff in the middle is tempting as is the mega size bag of Reese's on the candy aisle, but resist the dark side. If you don't, you'll have a hefty price tag at checkout. 

Before going, I use a price list to give me an idea of what I'll be spending to make sure it fits in my budget. Looking for a price list? Check them out here:


What are your tips for saving by buying wholesale?
Miranda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design