April 8, 2013

Oh, The Places You Will Go: DIY USA TRAVELS MAP

Greetings!

A couple weeks ago, I posted a status on Facebook that I had made a trip to my favorite store in the whole world - Hobby Lobby. When I make a trip to my favorite store in the whole world, it usually means some serious crafting is about to ensue. This time was not any different!

While browsing Pinterest (of course), I ran across this cork board travel map used to document trips.

travel-map-pin-board-diy-title700
Photo by Ciera Design
Through PaperLark Studio, my business has "traveled" great distances so to speak. I thought a cork board map might be an interesting way to document where my invitations and announcements have ventured to so far. I figured it would make an interesting decor piece for my future studio and serve as a reminder/motivation that people across the United States love my work.

Using the tutorial from Ciera Design, I pieced together my own United States "sales" map of my first 100 sales.


I learned that Chicago loves PaperLark. There were so many orders from Chicago, they overtook the state! 

Anyway, here's my quick tutorial.

Supplies:
  • Printer
  • Map of USA (got mine from the tutorial from Ciera Designs!)
  • Cork board
  • Scissors
  • Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Pencil
  • Map pins
  • Paper



  1. Print and cut out your map.
  2. Tape down your cut out map and trace around it with the pencil.

Tape down your cut out map!


Trace the map. I used a paint pen just to show you the trace more clearly. Don't make fun of my disproportionate Florida. 
3. Paint around your map and the inside of your map (if you want). Took me about three coats to get the paint coverage I wanted.


4. While the paint dries, cut some paper strips and write all your destinations. Once the paint is dry, tack your destination strips in its respective location with a map pin.

TA-DA!






If I decide I'm tired of my map, I've got enough left over paint to cover my map and use it as a regular cork board.

Time for me to get back to packing. *SIGH*

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design