December 4, 2014

DIY Christmas Stocking Bow Tutorial


This year, my mother and sister will be at our house for Christmas. I wanted everyone who will be waking up at our house on Christmas morning to have a stocking. With five stockings on the mantel, I wanted a cute, but easy way to differentiate between them.

Originally, I had thought about getting small wooden letters, painting them and then writing the names on them. However, my Christmas budget is pretty much spent so I needed to come up with something from supplies I had on hand. Here's what I came up with:


The ribbon is actually left over from a partially used roll from our wedding. I'd been trying to use it up by using it to wrap presents. It's so wide and the finish was perfect for me to write the names on. I wouldn't advise using satin ribbon because your ink will bleed. 

What You'll Need:
2-3" wide ribbon {mine was 2.5"}
Scissors
Sharpie
Safety Pins

Step One. Tie a bow with your ribbon, making it your preferred size. Before cutting your ribbon, be sure your two tails are long enough to write the name on. 

Step Two. Cut a small V on the tail ends. Take your sharpie and write the name on the ribbon. If you are lefty like me, proceed with caution so you don't smear the ink like I did on my first ribbon!

Step Three. Stick your safety pin through the back of the knot in the middle of your bow. Lastly, simply pin your ribbon onto your stocking.


Now then, you've just got to repeat that for how many every bows you need. The only tricky part was trying to get them to look close to the same size. After playing around a little, I think I did pretty well. In all, I made all five of these in about 30 minutes.

Happy Holidays!
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design